|COPYRIGHT 2011 by Michael Long|
Most of us know Honey as a sweet, golden liquid. In addition to being a great natural sweetener, honey has a bunch of other benefits. If you have a sore throat, take some honey, it will soothe the throat. If your diabetic, honey under the tongue will raise your blood sugar and keep you out of trouble. For athletes looking for a natural energy boost before a big game, honey will provide a quick energy in all circumstances.
Honey can be found in several different forms:
- Comb Honey is a honey in it's original form; "Honey inside of the honeycomb, and the beeswax comb is edible!!!!
- Cut Comb Cut comb honey is liquid honey that has added chunks of the honey comb in the jar or container
- Liquid Honey is a honey that is free of visible crystals, and is extracted from the honey comb by centrifugal force and straining. Because liquid honey mixes so well into a variety of foods it's especially convenient for cooking and baking. Most of the honey that is produced here in the United States is sold in the liquid form.
- Naturally Crystallized Honey Naturally crystallized honey is honey in which part of the glucose content has spontaneously crystallized. And it's safe to eat.
- Whipped (or Cremed) Honey, While all honey will crystallize in time, This honey is brought to market in a crystallized state. The crystallization is controlled so that, at room temperature, the honey can be spread like butter or jelly. In many countries around the world, whipped honey is preferred to the liquid form especially at breakfast time.